Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Calling Any Local Film Makers


Yesterday, I was chilling around my apartment, searching for ideas and insights for my college essay, when I saw THIS on TV



WHAT
THE
FIRETRUCK
DUCK
MUCK
PUCK
CHICKEN
???!!!!

What is this?
Oh, another romantic comedy with another deep symbolism featuring some popular comedian.
Really? Cinta Beruang? Like seriously?
If I'm not mistaken, we have Cinta Kura-Kura before, and those of other Cinta *insert object/animal/person/state of body/political party here* wayyyyyyy before this. In fact, we had TOO much of it that it had become very, very, VERY repetitive. 

I agree, the first time KL Gangster came out, it has a huge HIT. My school mate keep on repeating the same quote over and over and over and over again.

"Malik is back!"
"Lu mau tembak mana? Sini? Sini? Atau sini?"
"Tapi lu sayurrrrrr"



I can't deny that the idea of a gangster movie is fresh in Malaysia (though overused in other places). But then, influxes of GANGSTER movies started showing up like "Gangster X" or "X Gangster" or "*insert anything related to the gangster life here*" To make it worse, all those movie are on a quality of an kindergarten art project. 

Why can't the director get a hint that their 'works' are in fact stale. Okay, fine. I understand every dweller of arts has his or her rights to express or create anything he or she wanted. However, such repetition is just absurd. Imagine a song repeating the same slogan over and over again (*ehem* 1Malaysia song *ehem*), wouldn't you be bashing the song too? THAT IS HAPPENING TO YOUR WORKS! IT IS TOO STALE ALREADY.

I can foresee the arguments they are going to throw at me for this

'Tapi itulah apa penonton mahu, kami tak ada bajet maka kami perlu pastikan sesuatu produksi itu dapat sales dan hits. Penonton suka gangster ngan rom-com maka kita kasi mereka rom-com'

My argument? Simple.

Go to the cinema.
See the seats available for your movie.
And compare them with the international movie.
Weep and be in denial as the cold harsh reality sinks in your delusional mind.

Then you'll will asking: Why? Why? Why?

Simple: STALE AND QUALITY

Oh, I haven't talk about quality yet.
Well, I just show you one movie poster to sum up my argument.


WHAT
THE
RUCK

That lone movie poster (and trailer) simply left me laughing my stomach out on the floor. 

I know, we need to support our local products and bla bla bla
But shows us that you are worthy of being supported.
I'm sure all of you film makers don't appreciate being supported out of sympathy.
So prove to us lah!
Make an ORIGINAL film that doesn't include gangster, bohsia, rempits, hantu, bomoh, momok, or a total rip off of a Hollywood movie with an exceptional quality. You will be surprised that that very film will set a benchmark for other film makers and hence, revolutionizing the local film industry.

The problem is who will?

If somehow local film makers read my lonely, unpopular blog, take this as a challenge.

AND BE THE FILM MAKER TO CHANGE OUR FILM INDUSTRY FOR THE BETTER!

Cause if I see another 'Cinta X' film, I'll officially give up on the local film industry

0 comments:

Post a Comment